In a June 6th meeting, the Congolese Direction Générale de Migration (DGM) informed the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa that the DGM would be willing to conduct a review of the documents for the children whose cases appear to meet the DGM’s exception criteria (outlined in the Department of State’s October 23, 2013 Adoption Alert) and would consider issuing exit permits in these cases.
The DGM did not provide a timeframe for the completion of the review nor did it guarantee that the children will receive exit permits.
Furthermore, the DGM only agreed to review cases provided by the U.S. Embassy only once, and we have no reason to expect that the DGM would consider reviewing cases submitted at a later date.
We ask that adoptive families whose cases met the DGM’s exception criteria or their local representative hand-deliver the documents listed below to the U.S. Embassy. Documents will be accepted Monday through Thursday between 2:00 and 3:00 p.m. The U.S. Embassy will deliver cases with complete documentation the DGM for review. To ensure that the DGM reviews the cases as quickly as possible, the U.S. Embassy must receive all documents no later than June 25, 2014.
Each case packet should include, in order and in hard copy:
- Original bordereaux letter, issued prior to September 25, 2013;
- Copy of child’s passport;
- Three (3) passport photos of the child;
- Child’s Congolese birth certificate;
- Original birth certificate jugement;
- Original Acte d’Adoption and Certificate of Non-Appeal;
- Original Jugement d’Adoption;
- Original PV Tutelage Report (Proces-Verbal de Constat d’Abandon d’un Enfant), if child was abandoned;
- Local Guardian Council letter proving the child is a Ward of the State, if applicable;
- Original consent (autorisation parentale) from a birth parent or guardian, if the child was relinquished;
- Original death certificate(s) for birth parent(s), if applicable;
- Original Social Services determination that the relinquishing birth parent does not have the means to care for the child (Attestation d’Indigence), if applicable;
- Original consent from commune’s Social Services, if applicable;
- Copies of all other original documents;
- French translations of any documents written in English or another language;
- New, original 2013 Form I-864 affidavit of support;
- Copies of the adoptive parents’ 2012 tax return(s);
- Copy of homestudy;
- Medical report from U.S. Embassy’s panel physician / authorized clinics;
- Notarized, original Form DS-1981 vaccination waiver, if applicable;
- Copies of adoptive parents’ passports;
- Two (2) passport photos for each adoptive parent;
- Adoptive parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable;
- Police report from the adoptive parents’ place of residence; and
- Pictures of the adopted child from time of referral to present, if available.
Please direct questions related to this alert or a specific adoption from the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the Department of State, Office of Children’s Issues at 1-888-407-4747 within the United States, or 202-501-4444 from outside the United States. Email inquiries may be directed to ExitPermitSuspensionDRC@state.gov.