October 17, 2011
Ethiopian government officials confirmed the closure of several orphanages in the Southern Nations state due to revocation of the orphanages’ operational licenses. Each orphanage in Ethiopia receives an operational license that the Charities and Societies Administration administers and monitors to ensure compliance with Ethiopian regulations. This is an update to the previous Adoption Notice posted on August 3, 2011.
These orphanages are:
- SOS Infants Ethiopia (Arbaminch, Dila and Awassa branches)
- Gelgella Integrated Orphans (Tercha and Durame branches)
- Bethzatha Children’s Home Association (Sodo, Hosaena, Dila, Haidya, Durame, and Hawassa branches)
- Ethio Vision Development and Charities (Dila and Hawassa branches)
- Special Mission for Community Based Development (Hosaina branch)
- Enat Alem Orphanage (Awassa branch)
- Initiative Ethiopia Child and Family Support (Hawassa branch)
- Resurrection Orphanage (Hosaina branch)
- Musie Children’s Home Association (Hadiya, Hosaina, Dila, and Kenbata branches)
- Organization for Gold Age (Kucha, Dila, Hawassa branches)
- Hidota Children’s Home Association (Soto branch)
- Biruh Alem Lehisanat, Lenatochina Aregawiyan (Hosaina branch)
According to officials in the Charities and Societies Agency office, which oversees the licensing and regulation of orphanages in Ethiopia, the children in the care of those facilities have already been transferred to other orphanages.
Ethiopian officials indicate that cases involving orphaned children from these facilities which are already pending with the Federal First Instance court will continue to move forward. The Embassy in Addis Ababa is working closely with Ethiopian officials to determine if children from these facilities who had been previously referred for matches will be allowed to continue in the adoption process. Regional officials have confirmed that the affected children’s case files are currently being reviewed on a case by case basis by regional Ministry of Women’s Affairs offices.
We continue to ask prospective adoptive parents and agencies that are hearing news of specific closures to inform the Department. Please send any specific information regarding orphanage closures to AskCI@state.gov with the subject line “Ethiopia Orphanage Closures.”
Prospective and adoptive parents are encouraged to remain in contact with their adoption service provider to stay up-to-date on any information pertinent to their individual case. The Department will post any confirmation on www.adoption.state.gov as we receive it.